Friday, November 29, 2013

Why Do I Write?

Why do I write?  Is it an exercise in futility? 

Writing should be a joy but it is often a struggle.  I write about God and his amazing salvation; of Christ and his atoning work; of the Spirit and his ministry- it should be a joy.  It should bring satisfaction.  I write and warn people about the counterfeits that so easily befall us.  It ought to be rewarding, but I struggle.

I got the idea to write a book.  So, I began by putting together an outline.  I then fleshed it out until it grew into over 30 pages.  I thumbed through thousands of pages of books in order to get quotes to strengthen my work.  It was a chore.  And I can't help to think, why?  Why am I trying to write a book?  Can I write a book with my pride and shortcomings?  A book would be the oxygen to mix with the fuel of pride ignited by the flame of self-love that exists in my heart.  It could explode; it could be dangerous.

But I press on.  I will complete my task for the glory of God.  I write because I can (I'm not saying that I am a gifted writer, but only that I physically can).  I write because I have something to write about.  I write because I hope that people want to read.  I write because there is so much trivial fluff that fills the shelves and minds of professing Christians.  I write because I feel compelled.  I write because I can't stop writing.  I write because it is fun.  I write in order to edify the saints.  I write to teach.  Why do write?  I write because there is a burning down in my bones; I have to write.  If I don't do it, who will?  Surely, God can call others to write (and he has).  But, he has called and gifted (to a degree)me.  I have to do it. 

Many people will not understand this.  That is alright.  Many of you will, however, understand what I have written.  Some may think that his was a waste of a blog.  Others will sympathize with me and the struggles that face writers or want-to-be authors.  I wrote this as an exercise.  I put into words what I have been feeling and wondering for years now.  It helps to spell things out; to write and then read your thoughts.  This may not benefit anyone else, but this has helped me.

Writing is hard work.  Mentally and spiritually, it can be taxing.  I pray that it will pay off.  I am not talking monetarily, but in fruit.  Hopefully and prayerfully my work will bear fruit.  I hope to impact people spiritually.  That would be the true reward/payment-seeing people come to Christ in genuine repentance and faith; confused people being helped to better understand God's plan of redemption; people who have trusted in a counterfeit gospel coming to that realization and trusting Christ; people who have false assurance being assured by God's grace and not simply trusting in anything that they had done, etc. 

The Faith of Demons is my book.  It has grown to well over 300 pages thus far.  The Faith of Demons seeks to combat easy-believism and casual Christianity (if it can be called "Christianity").  I do so by examining in detail the knowledge and experiences of Satan and his demons.  The point: to show that true saving faith must go beyond what is common to demons.  They know God, scripture, the gospel, etc.  So, just because a person says that they believe in God or knows the gospel does not mean that they are saved.  A person must repent and trust Christ.  Salvation is not by knowledge alone; salvation is by faith alone in Christ alone.  Demons cannot and do not trust Christ. 

There is much more to be said, but you will have to buy the book.  God willing, it will be completed and published early in 2014.  Please pray that the Lord will use this work for his glory.  Also, visit my website to find out more.  Let me know what you think.
faithofdemons.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment