Friday, June 21, 2013

THE JOY OF SHARING WITH MY DAUGHTER

I had the opportunity and privilege to tell my seven year old daughter the glorious gospel of Christ the other day.  What did I tell her?  I told her the truth.  I told her that we were created to worship God.  But we can’t.  We are fallen; we are sinful.  We do not love the Lord, let alone obey and honor him.  We deserve hell.  Our sin is a barrier.  God is holy and cannot look on what is unholy.  So, we have a problem.  We are supposed to worship God but we hate him.  We are supposed to be in his presence but we are unable due to our vileness.
But God.  Aren’t these great words?  But God, who is rich in mercy and grace, sent his Son to take our punishment.  Jesus took our sin upon himself and bore the wrath of the Father.  Jesus became sin even though he knew no sin.  He was and is perfect and sinless.  Now, men are commanded to repent and trust Christ alone for salvation.  We believe the gospel call to be: turn from your sin, turn to God, cry out for mercy, trust Christ for deliverance, lean not on your works.
The gospel is proclaimed, the Holy Spirit convicts and draws, the sinner feels the burden of sin and guilt, the Spirit blesses with the gifts of repentance and faith, the sinner desires salvation and calls on Christ to deliver, God hears and then forgives, justifies, cleanses, redeems, pardons, adopts, etc.  Faith comes by hearing the word of Christ. 
I told my daughter to seek the Lord while he may be found.  I urged her to pray that God would give her a new heart.  A heart that hates sin and loves him.  I instructed her to pray that God would convict her of sin and convince her of his holiness.  Salvation is supernatural.  That means that salvation belongs to the Lord.  It is his work.

Notice what I did not tell my daughter.  I did not tell her to repeat a prayer after me.  I did not tell her to invite Jesus into her heart.  These are not found in Scripture.  I do not believe in what is called easy-believism.  If salvation is a supernatural work of God, then we are to pray to him to work.  We trust that he is working because she has heard the gospel and has questions.  There seems to be a genuine desire for God’s truth.  We are at his mercy.  I have a responsibility as a Christian and a father to preach the gospel.  I have done this and will continue to do so as long as God puts breath in my lungs.

My prayer: Lord, you are God.  I am not.  I throw myself down at your throne of grace and beg you to save my daughter.  Regenerate her; according to your word she is spiritually dead.  Please raise her to new life in Christ.  Show her your holiness thereby revealing her sinfulness.  Convict her and drive her to the healing waters.  Wash her in the life-giving blood of Christ.  Create in her a new heart, Lord.  A heart that pants for you, that thirsts for you, that seeks you, that rests in you, that desires your sweet communion and compassion.  Oh, lead her to the stream, the river where there are pleasures forevermore.  The seed of the gospel has been planted.  I pray for fertile Soil.  Water it, cause it to grow, bring forth fruit, Lord, for your honor and glory.  She has heard the word of Christ.  Give her faith, Lord, give her sorrow for sin.  Bring her down low that you might lift her up on the wings of eagles.  Break her so that you might mend her.  Grant her salvation, Lord.  Bestow upon her the gift of faith and repentance.  Plant her in your beautiful garden.  For the fame of your name, Lord, save her.  For your glory, Lord, deliver her from the wrath to come.  Rain down your grace; shine in her heart; draw her.  May she treasure Christ above everything.  May she serve you with gladness and her life.  Breathe into her, Lord, the breath of life.  Feed her with manna from heaven.  Quench her thirst with water from the Rock.  Lead her down the narrow path through the straight gate.  Give her the joy of salvation.  Gladden her soul in you.  Show her steadfast love.  I will continue to worship you, Lord.  You are the sovereign King of kings.  You are gracious, loving, patient, and kind.  Holy is the Lord.  Righteous and just is he.  You are worthy of all praise.  Lord, your will be done.  To you be all honor, glory, exaltation, now and forever.      

1 comment: